John is harking back to the creation where God spoke the world into being. Jesus was with God creating the universe right at the start – he himself has no beginning – he always has been. The Greek word logos is translated as word, however it also refers to logic or reason. The Stoics believed logos was the active reason behind the seen universe – a universal reasoned argument or explanation for how things are…
The Greeks supposed that there was a logic to the Universe; how else would we be able to comprehend the world unless there was some order and not just ultimate chaos? John is pointing out that Jesus is the logic, the reason behind everything that we see.
Many scientists, including Stephen Hawking, are currently looking for a universal theorem – a theory to explain everything. And 2,000 years ago John says yes, you’re right and the theorem has a name: Jesus!
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. – Colossians 1:15-17
This extraordinary creator God then became a human and lived on earth amongst his creation. But now, just as then, people don’t recognise Jesus in this dual role as eternal creator God and actual human (v11 & 10). People could not fathom the depths of God, so God came as a human. He came to us in a manner we could relate to so that we could recognise and understand God (v19). The God who made the Universe stretches out to us for the sole purpose of relationship. But still not everyone recognises him.
- Are you able to imagine Jesus eternally with Father God working on creation or do you picture him mostly as the man Christ Jesus?
- God (Father, Jesus and Spirit) made everything, including me – with all my talents and faults. How does that make you feel?
- Would you count yourself as one who believed in his name? Have you been made spiritually alive in God? (v12)
- Why do you think that people find it hard to recognise Jesus? (v10)
- What is John saying in verses 16 & 17?
May we recognise Jesus as we go through the day.
This picture hangs in my hallway and is supposed to represent the Word in Creation